The Music School Histroy
- The Music School was started in 1972, with just one teacher and one student in Carnatic Vocal located in a small room at Sarvodaya Estate, with the blessings of late Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagawatar.
- In due course, faculties like Violin and Mridangam were added-yet the Music school continued at the same place until 1992.
- In 1992, when the new Fine Arts Cultural Centre was inaugurated, additional space became available and the school was relocated, expanded and more faculty recruited.
- The next stage was the commencement of Hindustani style of music
- Under the guidance and supervision of Pandits and Maestros such as C R Vyas, Kishori Amonkar, Allah Rakha and Tulsidas Borkar, disciplines like Hindustani Vocal, Tabla and Harmonium were added. There are eight disciplines today covering Carnatic and Hindustani Vocal, Mridangam, Violin, Tabla, Harmonium and Flute. With guidance from Vempatti Chinna Satyam, Kuchipudi dance class was started.
- Yearly competitions and special events like Thygaraja Aradhana, Composers Day, are very popular
- A unique Teachers Day is being added.
- And today the Music and Dance School has over 400 students, 24 faculty member with 9 disciplines and 42 endowments for prizes.
- The School is affiliated to the Akhil Bharatiya Gandharva Maha Vidyalaya, a deemed University.
- The quality of musical education imparted by the faculty at the Fine Arts Society is best judged by the performance of its students at the recently concluded examinations by the Akhil Bharatiya Gandharva Mahavidyalaya. 113 students appeared for the exams. Out of this 111 passed, i.e., 98.96% success; 25 got distinction and 48 in first class. The Society is truly proud of this achievement by the students and the faculty who were responsible for it.
- With increasing demand from the Societys members and the community, the upgradation of present School into an Academy of Fine Arts is a step in the right direction.
ACADEMY HEIGHTS – Our New Dream
The Societys New Dream is to put up The Academy Heights on top of the existing structure. The new facility, the Academy of Fine Arts and College of Music and Dance will house:
- Special furnished and fully equipped Class Rooms for all disciplines
- A Library and a Recording Studio
- Computer aided facilities
- Mini Concert Halls
- Guest room for visiting faculty
The estimated cost of the new project is about Rupees Three and a half Crores and is almost in completion stage.
The Academy will seek affiliation from other established universities also. The Academy functions as the seat for higher learning in music and dance. Towards this end the Academy organizes and supports all activities of a theoretical as well as practical nature concerning the fine arts in general and specially classical music and dance. The Academy will be the centre for guiding education imparted in the Music School / College, Research Activities and special activities for education in the rich cultural heritage of our country. The governance of the Academy is through a Governing Council which had the privilege of having doyens of music as its members.